Former IRS Revenue Officer

Former IRS Revenue Officer

Michael Raanan, EA

Santa Ana, CA

Male, 35

My tenure with the largest and most powerful collection agency in the world, the IRS, began fresh out of college and with much surprise. Following an extensive interview process and a cross-country flight to the West Coast, I found myself in Los Angeles with the unenviable task of getting delinquent taxpayers back into tax compliance. After approximately 8 years of service, I left, and now find myself (very literally) on the other side of the table helping taxpayers resolve their IRS disputes.

SubscribeGet emails when new questions are answered. Ask Me Anything!Show Bio +


Ask me anything!

Submit Your Question

62 Questions


Last Answer on May 16, 2017

Best Rated

Is there a minimum threshold to be assigned a revenue officer ? My accountant being told by an agent that the debt to IRS must be 250,000 or greater

Asked by Dave W almost 5 years ago

A Revenue Officer is the last line of collection for the IRS when it comes to back taxes. A collection case is generally assigned to a RO at the IRS office closest to where the taxpayer lives. Although the IRS Service Center generally does not work collection cases over $250K, a RO has no such limits. A RO is generally assigned a collection case based on his/her Grade level. As such, ROs work collection cases from a few thousand dollars in back taxes to multi-million dollar cases. If favorable, taxpayers can request their IRS tax case to be transferred from the Service Center to a local RO. This decision should be made with a qualified tax representative and should always be based on the facts and circumstances of the case. 

1) 11 Tips for Taxpayers Who Owe Money to the IRS

Is it true that the IRS makes it a priority to go after 'big fish' tax evaders instead of little guys? And if so, is it mostly because they stand to recover more in tax dollars, or because they want to make an example of rich guys who dodge taxes?

Asked by Alex over 4 years ago

The IRS Collection process encumbers all taxpayers that are out of "tax compliance". At any given time there are about 12 million taxpayers that are out of compliance and require some sort of contact by the IRS. Many of these taxpayers are initially contacted via correspondence at their last known address.

While it's the responsibility of the IRS to enforce the tax laws, the agency's resources are limited and therefore they must be circumspect when dealing with "tax evaders". Tax evasion cases require collaboration between IRS Collection personnel, IRS Counsel, and the Department of Justice (DOJ) Counsel. The burden of proof lies on the government and cases must be well-developed before a decision to pursue a particular taxpayer is made. To see some recent IRS Criminal Investigation cases, click here.

I got a call from a 206 area code number stating he was an irs revenue officer and I was going to jail. He never said my name he gave the address to the trailer park but not the number to my house. Is this fraud

Asked by todd almost 4 years ago

If you receive a call from someone saying they are from the IRS, trying to collect money over the phone and threatening you, it is a SCAM. Do not give them any personal information, including bank and credit card numbers. Collect as much information as you can from them and report it to the proper authorities (here's how). 

Since last year, the Treasury Inspector General (TIGTA) and the IRS have received 366,000 complaints from taxpayers through its telephone hotline. TIGTA has identified approximately 3,300 victims who have lost an estimated $16.8 million from these IRS phone scams, or an average of over $5,000 per victim. The highest reported loss by one individual was a staggering $500,000. Learn more about the phone scam and how to protect yourself.

May I request a different Revenue Officer to be assigned to my case - I am experiencing anger from the officer assigned to me.

Asked by S.A. POLIT about 4 years ago

In general, disputes with a Revenue Officer should first be raised with the Group Manager. The GM may help resolve the dispute or decide that the case needs to be reassigned to a different employee. Disputes that cannot be resolved with the Collection department may benefit from a timely filing of an appeal. In most cases, taxpayers should consider seeking professional representation when their case is assigned to a Revenue Officer, as they are the last line of collection for the United States and have broad authority when it comes to enforcement actions that can be taken, including filing liens and issuing levies.

See: 10 Things to Know About the IRS Collection Process

Does an IRS revenue officer have the right to revisit your home if after the officer left a card in our door and they were contacted

Asked by Pat over 3 years ago

IRS Revenue Officers are authorized to make "field calls" and personal contact with taxpayers and third parties in connection with a Collection case. This includes making multiple visits to a taxpayer's personal residence or last known address, as warranted.

You may find this article helpful: 10 Things to Know About the IRS Collection Process

I am searching for confirmation and history of Stephen Montgomery Rasar, Revenue Officer in Oklahoma and Texas in 1882-1884. Can anyone help me?

Asked by Donald H. Campbell over 3 years ago

You can try contacting the IRS here.

An IRS agent left a note on my business location. I do owe them 7k and haven't paid since January. You think that could be the reason for the visit?

Asked by Craig over 3 years ago

IRS Agents have the authority to make "field calls" to a taxpayer's address in an effort to determine if the taxpayer can full pay the tax liability. If a note was left on your door, you may want to take advantage of the Free Consultations many tax relief professionals offer in order to discuss the particulars of your case and what options are available to you. Whether you choose to contact the IRS yourself or retain a tax representative, at least you will be better prepared.